Monday, June 28, 2010

it's all downhill from here...

It's a week after the summer solstice, which means the days are getting shorter and we may even have this thing called 'darkness' before too long. I still find myself waking up at 3 am and forcing myself back to sleep. The official Midsummer celebration in Sweden was this last weekend and ninety percent of the country will take the next month off, so it's important to make sure you have almost everything you'll need to do projects in July. We don't have the luxury to take a month off, but I'm still finding ways to enjoy myself. On sunny days like today, I usually take a kayak out and paddle around the lake for a couple hours, finding little coves and inlets to explore. I also continue my daily walks around the 'fake' island, continually checking on the progress of the wildflowers. I seem to find new ones every couple days or so. I reset the birch poles for the new dog kennel today and we'll be getting lumber for new dog houses this week, so I'll be able to start chipping away at making 30 new houses. July should be fun, as I will get to spend some time out on the Norwegian coast. The new sailboat is in Nesna and before too long, we'll go for a long weekend to Norway to make some repairs on the boat and scout out some logistics for sea kayaking trips. A new litter of puppies is expected around July 24 and before I know it, it'll be August. I'm moving into a real house soon, so Dave can have his cabin/office space back. Between all the other projects, we're going to start building a handler's cabin, similar to the one I'm in now, but better suited to stay in for the winter. I guess that's it for now, but I'll post again when something interesting happens.

No comments: